It may be a campy cult classic, but many celebrities have had fans with fatal attractions. Kate tweeted this today: FYI-getting a lot of emails thinking I'm ignoring/forgetting u all. I'm doing my best 2 read&respond.Pls b patient w/ this busy girl!XO2all
Uh oh. Has she thought about the many other celebs who have experienced serious, sometimes even deadly problems with their fans? Here are just a few.
Mark David Chapman got John Lennon's autograph and shook Sean Lennon's hand (Sean was five at the time) just before he shot and killed the singer in 1980.
2. Selena's death. Yolanda Saldívar was president of Selena's fan club and worked her way up to managing Selena's clothing stores. Selena's designer quit because of Saldivar, calling her "possessive." When Salvdivar was accused of embezzling money, she fatally shot Selena in 1995.
3. Jodi Foster's stalker. In 1980, Ronald Reagan was almost killed by John Hinckley Jr., Jodi Foster's stalker. Foster spoke with Hinckley on the phone a few times when he called. "Over the past seven months I've left you dozens of poems, letters and love messages in the faint hope that you could develop an interest in me," Hinckley wrote in a letter to Foster just before the shooting. Foster has had at least two other stalkers since Hinckley.
4. Rebecca Schaefer's death. Robert John Bardo wrote letters to Schaefer for three years, showed up on the set of My Sister Sam, and sleuthed out Schaefer's private address through DMV records before shooting her at her front door. (After her death, the CA DMV changed its privacy laws).
Dawnette Knight wrote in one of her letters, "She will be dead before she'll be able to blink an eye. Michael can finally be happy with his kids when the bitch is dead.'"
6. Sheryl Crow's stalker. One of her fans said that the singer was his "spiritual twin" and said they were "spiritually connected." Ambrose Kappos was arrested in 2003 after hopping into Crow's limo.
7. Gweneth Paltrow. Dante Michael Soiu showed up at her parents' house numerous times (where she often stayed), and sent the actress countless packages and letters. The FBI had to get involved. “I am more than a fan,” he said in one letter. “I have formed a soul union with you.” He was convicted in 2000.
Maybe it's time Kate get off Twitter.